Autism and Hyperemesis

Some people say the worst things . . .

Moderator: HelenA

Autism and Hyperemesis

Postby flappinessis » Nov 19, 2012 3:32 pm

I wrote a post on my blog about my experience with HG and my son's autism. Wondering if any of you are wondering the same thing... http://flappinessis.com/2012/11/19/yes-i-ate-a-cracker-on-hyperemesis-and-autism/
flappinessis

Re: Autism and Hyperemesis

Postby skeptic » Dec 16, 2012 5:10 pm

One of my children is on moderate autism category and one has always been a bit hyperactive and slower in his language development. I don't know if its the HG. I don't think so, but it would be interesting to see how many of us have such issues.
skeptic
Devoted to You

Postby hgteacher » Mar 28, 2013 7:57 pm

My oldest has aspergers and my youngest is overcoming speech apraxia and has ADHD. Link? Don't know. Pregnant now and hoping for a healthy bouncing baby who doesn't have to endure these challenges. All hg pregnancies.
hgteacher

Postby erinclot » Jul 28, 2013 7:41 pm

I posed this question way back when my twins were diagnosed, right after the study about low folate and low iron being a possible cause. I don't know about you, but I wasn't keeping any sort of anything down, let alone a prenatal vitamin. I have to think if that study was actually on to something, there would be a quite a big group of HGers with kids on the spectrum. I read your blog BTW- I had no idea you were over here!
Round 1- 2008, 30 weeks, Zofran, Acupuncture, IV fluids, relieved upon delivery via C-Section (twins at 36 weeks).
Round 2- 2010, 36 weeks, Zofran, IV fluids, 4 hospital stays, relieved upon delivery at 39 weeks via C-Section.
Round 3- 2013, currently 6 weeks, just starting to rear it's ugly head.
erinclot

Postby jconley729 » Apr 18, 2016 5:04 pm

My wife suffered from HG during her third pregnancy. Needless to say, it was AWFUL. After giving birth, our son struggled with reflux and then colic. Again, a miserable experience. Now that he is almost 2, he has been diagnosed with Autism. I don't know if there is a connection, but that was my first thought (after assuming we were being punished of course). This has been a very difficult 2.5 years and I have a great amount of empathy for anyone else experiencing the same.
jconley729

Postby Elizab32 » Sep 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Hi. I had terrible under treated hyperemisis w/ my first son who was diagnosed w/ autism a few yrs ago. I also had hyperemisis w/ my second son, who is fine. I think the difference between their health is the way my hyperemisis was handled. I lost 20+ lbs (down to 120 lbs and I'm 5'7") and was miserable for months and treated w: Zofran pills only.
For my second son, I did my homework and front loaded all the meds (so Zofran to Zofran pump to home healthcare for a constant iv to a hospital stay for a few days for b12 and other vitamins via an iv to starting a few other meds (better than Zofran but I'm blanking on the names now). When I left the hospital, I could eat an apple and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It was crazy. But I had to check myself in for them to figure out the right meds so that I could eat and drink on my own. Also, in order for u to qualify for certain treatments, u have to exaggerate your condition, which I highly recommend u do. Don't wait until u r super sick to get the meds and treatments bc they don't work as well. Eg I had the prescription for Zofran the day I found out I was pregnant just bc I didn't want to risk waiting.
The key was to seriously treat it and start early ie before u feel terrible, ramp up your treatments. If dehydrated go get an iv. It's the greatest thing ever when u feel as horrible as you do.
Anyway, I just wanted to share my experiences. Also, if you're scared your child is going to have side effects from your hyperemisis, you can address those later and just take care of yourself now. my first son is fine now. (No longer autistic). We just had to treat his underlining medical issues that were driving the developmental delays.
Elizab32

Postby DianaS. » Oct 16, 2016 5:43 am

Hello I have 2 kids and currently 9weeks pregnant with my 3rd. I've suffered with HG with all of them. So far my second was the worst. My first born is 9yrs old perfectly healthy, my 2nd 5yr old daughter and had speech development problems and extremely hyperactive. I have always wondered if it has anything to do with me having HG? I thank God she's healthy and pray for my 3rd baby to come out healthy as well.
DianaS.

Postby Emilly » Jul 05, 2017 11:24 am

A student nurse, when leaving my unit to go back to school, gave the nurses a card with the things she learned while in dialysis. These are some of them. Feel free to add your own.

What happens in dialysis, stays in dialysis

There's nothing worse than a skinny nurse because everyone brings the nurses food

Christmas carols can be sung all year round the team lead is always singing something
Emilly

Return to "I got crackered" (Vent)