Long Term GI trouble?

Discuss the lasting impact from HG on moms and babies: long term health issues, child development, and other ways HG continues to impact your life.

Moderators: txmomma, Trudy, teddi

Long Term GI trouble?

Postby NYMama » Aug 04, 2006 6:41 pm

My grandmother reports being sick for 9 months with all 4 of her children. I don't know how severe, but I know she never had any medical tx. This was in the 1930's and 1940's, so I'm guessing it was mild HG that persisted the whole time. Anyway, in her later years she had awful GI problems and acid reflux. At the end of her life, she was practically living off of ice cream and pudding b/c she couldn't tolerate normal foods. I've often wondered if the HG wreaked havic on her GI system, which might have worsened as she aged. Just a theory, but who knows??? I'd be real interested in long term studdies on how HG impacts our poor tummies...
NYMama
Been There Done That

Postby BrandiJK » Aug 04, 2006 9:20 pm

My mother suffered HG, though then it was just vit, B shots to help her, and some times IVs. She eventually had a hernia <sp> and operations, and now is on loads of meds to control her nausea because she physically can not vomit (due to surgery).
Both she and I think the hernia is due to HG 3Xs.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 05, 2006 12:45 am

I had signs of IBS for years, but for whatever reason it intensified with each pregnancy to the point where it's definitely a problem now and is an inescapable part of daily life. Not sure what spurred that on, but HG is as good a bet as any.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby heatherlee » Aug 23, 2006 11:08 pm

* Has anyone ever heard of the drug Domperidone? I have been taking it since the birth of my second child. I take it 30 min. before meals and before bed or when i feel queasy and it helps empty my stomach so I don't get nauseated. I have a gastric emptying problem which is a slow moving GI track. Small meals 6 times a day helps too. It is a very safe drug, it is even used to increase breast milk supply. I have never had any side effects and I have been taking it for three years. It's not FDA approved so I recieve it from Canada because it is cheaper than getting it at the apocarthy here and because insurance does not cover it. It cost me $100.00 for a bottle of 500 that will last for at least 5 months. Talk to a gastroenterologist about it, it has been a lifesaver for me. If you have any questions about it you can e-mail me at ourfamily42@earthlink.net
Goodluck,
Heather
heatherlee

Postby justme » Aug 24, 2006 8:51 am

Like Pamelarose, I have been and IBS sufferer since high school. It has gotten worse after each pg. Also, I have more problems with low grade nausea now and still sometimes find myself vomiting for no real apparent reason. I think that HG did a lot of damage to me body.

Karen
justme
Forum Moderator

Postby nomore » Aug 24, 2006 1:45 pm

Yes, you can add me to the list of long term GI problems. Before HG, I suffered from mild heartburn occastionaly. Now, its something I live with daily. I will probably be on meds for it for the rest of my life. I also suffer from gastirtis. Interstestly enough, I am going to the DR soon, as both the GERD and gastrisitis flare up during PMS, making my tummy miserable- sort of feeling like a flaming fire pit. My guess is its time for antoher endoscopy. Yes... HG surely messed with my GI tract.
nomore
Forum Moderator

Return to Long-Term Impact from HG