HG and speech problems?

Discuss the lasting impact from HG on moms and babies: long term health issues, child development, and other ways HG continues to impact your life.

Moderators: txmomma, Trudy, teddi

HG and speech problems?

Postby bibliojo » Feb 20, 2005 4:38 pm

I'm curious to know how many of you out there have kids with speech problems and if you think it could be attributable to HG and/or the medications you took while pregnant.

My son just turned 2 this past week but hardly talks. He has about 8 words that he uses on a daily/weekly basis. We have a hearing test scheduled for him this Tuesday and he's on the wait list for speech therapy but it could take 6-9 months for him to get in. The good news is that he said his first two word combination on Valentine's Day ("baa eee eee" - or bad monkey - he was watching Curious George at the time! :lol: ) and he's finally started calling me Mama! :D

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Feb 20, 2005 6:48 pm

Bad monkey! That's adorable. :D

My three were all very early talkers, so no parrallel here. My friend visited with her children, and her daughter heard my 2 year-old chattering away and asked, "Mommy, why does that baby talk so much?" lol I'm sure your son will start taking off soon--some start seemingly overnight! Hope you get good results with any testing.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby JudyC » Feb 22, 2005 10:53 pm

My eldest turned two back on the 6th of November 2004. At that time she had a very small vocabulary and even those words weren't pronounced very well. I became worried as I began comparing her to her friends (I know I should never do that) who had big vocabularies and were combining words. My husband thought I was being ridiculous and my maternal and child health nurse wasn't at all worried about it. I began to wonder if the malnutrition I experienced during my first trimester of my HG pregnancy with her had something to do with her "delayed" speech. Well, here we are 3 1/2 months later and she's talking so much. It's like it all started happening practially overnight. So please take heart. He'll probably be talking very soon. It can happen quickly.
JudyC

YES!

Postby christineb » Jan 23, 2006 10:25 pm

Yes, I DO have a daughter, from a severe HG pregnancy 7 year ago, with a major speech defecit, and also with an auditory processing defecit. And I will ALWAYS wonder if it had something to do with the HG. Sorry to have only found your post now!
Rockin' out thanks to reglan, during my 2nd HG pg! (in this pic)
Brianna, HG pregnancy, 5/8/99
Angelina, HG pregnancy, 10/31/02, BOO!
Lost Angel, MC, DD 7/25/06
christineb
Been There Done That

Postby Jenny » Jan 23, 2006 10:55 pm

Ben didn't talk at two. Even at three his speech was limited and unclear. Christopher's speech was perfect and he could say his whole alphabet before he turned two. BUT Ben started reading at age four and Christopher didn't read until half way through kindergarten. Christopher's IQ tests at 150 and Ben's at 140, both very high and both refuse to do their best in school so their grades are boarderline at best.

All of this to say that all kids develop at different paces. Ben spoke the latest of my boys but read the earliest. He was so active, he didn't want to take the time to learn the correct way of saying something. He got his point across just fine. Actually that came in handy since he learned to say butthead pretty early on, but when we were out in public and he said it, strangers never knew what he was saying!!!! Trust me, you want to be able to control what they say before they learn to speak!!!!
Jenny Davidson
DH Charles Davidson
Married May 27, 2004

Jenny
HER Majesty

Postby caleighbelle47 » Jan 24, 2006 12:28 am

I don't consider Isabella behind, but I guess she is compared to what the books say she should be doing. She still hasn't said Mama, but does say Daddy. She says "all done" when she finishes things but that's it. Everything else is just babbling.

My mom had five kids though and said we were all really talking by this age. I still know of lots of kids that didn't start talking until late, and most of them really take off once they start.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
http://caleighbabies.blogspot.com/
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 24, 2006 12:42 am

My Chris spoke young, but he did have some pronunciation issues...still does. But I've been told these are still in the normal range for his age.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Jenny » Jan 24, 2006 12:47 am

HEY All of my kids have punctuation issues. They tell me things that SHOULD be questions like, "I am going to a movie on Saturday" when they should say MAY I go to a movie on Saturday after I finish cleaning the house and mowing the lawn. Do you think I should get them into speech therapy quick? Do you think it would help? he he he!!!!!
Jenny Davidson
DH Charles Davidson
Married May 27, 2004

Jenny
HER Majesty

Return to Long-Term Impact from HG