Allergy Meds while BFing???

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Allergy Meds while BFing???

Postby owensmama » Mar 27, 2007 8:31 am

I am desperate for some allergy meds. Every bradford pear and rose bud trees are in full bloom here. I cant see, breath or stop blowing my nose.

I need some recommendations for allergy meds. I have always had to take prescription ones, but anything right now is better than nothing. I callled my OB and they said to call the pedi. I don't trust the pedi with my delicate milk supply. My GP has 8 kids and they are all homeschooled and I am sure they were bf too. I just don't want to undo what I have worked soooo hard for. I finally have my milk supply about normal (with massive amount of fenugreek-Yes, I have been a pancake for about 3 weeks now).

I used to take Allegra. But any suggestions of something that works.

Thanks in advance.
Julie
ImageImage
owensmama
Been There Done That

Postby simplekelly » Mar 27, 2007 8:49 am

Glad your milk supply is back up!!

i have no experience with allergy meds...all i know is to not take psudeoephedrin (or whatever that is) that is in Sudafed etc. I've read that can decrease your milk supply by up to 60% (was that Erin that mentioned that?).
Kelly
mama to
Jake (1-9-02) MS to wk 13
Justin (6/13/03) NO MS!
Addison (2/16/07) HG wk 8-birth
simplekelly
Devoted to You

Postby _Laurie » Mar 27, 2007 9:01 am

I don't know of any allergy meds that won't mess with your supply. Anything that will dry up your mucus will also dry up your milk. At least that's what I've been told by LC's in the past.

Maybe Susannah can help here... She's a LC and has GREAT advice.
Laurie
3HG pregnancies: 2 sweet girls 4/01, 4/03, and my twins 1/27/07

We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world.
-Helen Keller
_Laurie
Forum Moderator

Postby Brenda » Mar 27, 2007 9:14 am

What about Claritin?

Also - check kellymom.com or there is a safe chart on babycenter. Like some else said, do NOT use Sudafed!!! I used it to help dry my milk up..

Good Luck
Isabella HG Baby #1 11/21/02
Spencer HG Baby #2 4/16/05
Victoria HG Baby # 3 12/19/06
Brenda
Opinionated HGer

Postby Gracie » Mar 27, 2007 9:34 am

You can also try contacting Motherisk... they may have info on what crosses into the breastmilk and at what concentration.

Nasal sprays ARE safe to use when PG and breastfeeding, but obviously they are not recommended for extended use.

I was give Reactine when I developed pregnancy urticaria after delivering my daughter 11 yrs ago... but obviously there has to be more research out there now with regards to this. You would likely need to find a plain antihistamine and not one with a decongestant (which does dry up your milk supply).

Oops... searching at the same time:

http://www.perinatology.com/exposures/druglist.htm

for drugs in pregnancy and breastfeeding info. According to them, Claritin, is "usually compatible with breastfeeding" (for you to read and decide...)

http://www.obfocus.com/reference/Formul ... tadine.htm

:hugs:
Gracie
Gracie
Master of HG

Postby NurseNicole » Mar 27, 2007 8:54 pm

You can take Zyrtech while breastfeeding and it won't affect milk supply.

I've taken others that said they could affect milk supply but didn't mine. Then again I have enough to feed small countries. IF milk supply is an issue I wouldn't take the chance personally.
NurseNicole
Opinionated HGer

Postby Jolene » Mar 28, 2007 8:38 am

kellymom.com is an awesome place to get references for safe drugs.
Jolene
HG Diva

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum