My Pregnancy Story Of Having HG

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

My Pregnancy Story Of Having HG

Postby Yvetteebuntoo » Nov 27, 2014 9:16 pm

When i was Pregnant with my baby daughter in 2014, i began having sickness early at 6 weeks into my pregnancy. I first started to eat crackers and ginger biscuits, but felt constantly nauseous. Nothing stopped my nauseous. The sickness got worse and worse to the point i couldn't eat or drink without it coming straight back up within a second of it being swallowed. I even felt sick when sipping water. I couldn't keep any food down, not even water or fluids. I kept drinking water, even though i knew i would bring it back up, as i felt that ill, i had to put fluid into my belly. I got to the point where i was so dehydrated, the water would go straight into my bloodstream in seconds of drinking it, and i would bring up yellow bile instead of the water. The fact that in a second of drinking water you sick up bile, the water must of gone straight into the bloodstream within that split second of it going down. I became seriously ill, with water not being able to fill my belly and bringing up bile every minute (Literally), i was very ill. I took some doctor prescribed sickness tablets, and they did nothing. I got worse and worse everyday. My head was throbbing with pain from strain with vomiting. I was extremely weak and exhausted. I even cried. I couldn't sleep, or even talk. I was sick every half a minute, all day, every week. I can't even explain what it's like to dry heave with not even bile coming up. My stomach felt extremely bruised with all the strain. It was very painful when i vomited or even heaved. I couldn't live every day, so my fiance had to ring the NHS helpline, they tried to talk to me over the phone, but they couldn't as i was vomiting constantly, second after second. They realised that i had to be hospitalised. They did say that when i got to the hospital, that there was no chance that i'd be able to stay and be hospitalised. When i got to the hospital, they took a blood test, which took them several tries to even find a vain in my dehydrated body, and kept switching arms and spent a very long time squeezing my arm with a band to get a vain. When they managed to get a vain and took my blood test, they also asked for a urine sample to check i was pregnant (it came up positive), my urine was extremely concentrated in colour. Next the results came back and said i had something in my blood (cant remember what it was called). I was put in a hospital bed and had many more bloods taken (again, more prodding for ages). I had to be put on a drip and had to have a blood test taken in my artery (i didn't half cry out in pain!) My arms were bruised with so many prods. I had doctors feeling my tummy (which was very painful) The doctors asked how many weeks i was (i said about 7-8weeks, which i was). They said they would give me a scan to check if the baby was ok (which they didn't do). For a few hours i was lying in the hospital bed being checked over. Next i was asked if i wanted an anti-sickness put into my drip, which would go straight into my bloodstream. I agreed. As the needle with the anti-sickness was being put through my drip, i felt immediately light-headed and my face and body burned up while he was still putting it in. I was looking at the doctor and he was spinning and i couldn't keep my eyes on him. My lips were tingling and i was wandering if it was an allergic reaction. I cannot explain how panicky inside i was and how i felt with my head and vision spinning, i felt myself passing out!! The doctor left, and i looked at my fiance sitting in the chair. i couldn't keep my eyes on him. i told him how i felt and that i felt myself passing out. He didn't even need to hear me say how i felt, he saw! He said ''oh my God, you don't look right''. I leant on the hospital bed bar, and it wasn't locked down, so i ended up toppling over and my fiance caught me just in time of falling on the floor. It was a high bed. I told him i needed to get up and go outside. He kept telling me i cant and i'm not in a right state. To me, the way i was feeling, i had to get fresh air. I stumbled out of his arms and out into the hospital floor, i felt dizzy and i just collapsed on the floor. all the doctors and my fiance came running and picked me up and weeled the bed out to me and put me on it. I asked the doctor that game me the anti-sickness if the symptoms i was having were normal. He said in an uncertain voice..''well, this hasn't happened before''. I thought 'oh my God'. He said i'll be fine and i need to rest. My partner told me to shut my eyes and sleep. Funny enough, the whole time i arrived at the hospital and was in there under care, i wasn't sick (which felt great!) Later, i was moved over to a bed for the night. I had to sit in a hospital patient room chair for 2 hours, while hooked to a drip. I was extremely tired and was falling asleep in the chair, which was extremely uncomfortable. Not only that, i had restless leg syndrome throughout my pregnancy, and it was worse when i was tired. Finally i got woken up and put into a waiting bed (a bed where they put you while you wait for a sleeping bed). While i was in there, i had another blood test taken (i had so many while i was in hospital). So, i was in this waiting bed and having another needle prodded in me at 2am in the early morning. I just wanted a bed so i could sleep. Finally, after waiting a while, i got a bed. Throughout the night, they came and put me on a new drip bag. I was quite unsettled throughout the night, as i could feel the drip needle in my arm, which was painful. Also, the drip tubes hooking up to the drip machine were getting tangling and in the way of my sleep positions. In the morning, i was sick throughout the morning. I went to the toilet to urinate a lot, and my urine was very clear. The nurses said that my urine needed to be rid of keytones (or something like that). Throughout the early afternoon, my dad came and visited me. I was given some anti-sickness tablets by the nurse to take. None of the two worked after a few hours of waiting. So she gave me another anti-sickness tablet...Now here is the valuable point in my story.....Not long after taking the tablet, i felt better in myself, and felt my normal self coming back. A member of staff asked me for a hot drink, so i felt confident and drank a hot chocolate and had 2 bourbon biscuits. I cannot believe i kept a hot chocolate and food down!! I also had lunch/dinner and kept that down!! I had a jacket potato with cheese and beans (yes i was that confident to have cheese and beans of all things!). Later on, they said i could go home that very day. My fiance was over the moon. I wasn't so sure (i was just worried that i'd be back to the way i was without being hospitalised). My fiance pleaded with me to come back home, and the nurses and doctors said that i'll be fine now, as my keytones have gone from my urine and i have been prescribed those brilliant tablets to take one 3 times a day for approximately up to 16 weeks pregnant (as it's not advised to take later in pregnancy, plus what mommy takes, baby takes also). I went home that night and wasn't sick for a a week or so. I took the tablets as prescribed, and they worked brilliant! I fell in love with the tablets. With the tablets, i did become extremely fatigue and tired, and while out shopping, i could hardly keep my eyes open (literally). I was still very weak, and more tired with the tablets (i was like a walking zombie). I had to take the tablets before i got hungry sick. Otherwise i vomited. Up to about 16-20 weeks, i vomited every now and again, through getting hungry. Every time i got very hungry, it brought on my sickness. But after i was sick, i felt fine, and i could eat. Then after i ate, i took my tablet and wasn't sick, until next time i got really hungry and never ate. I will say though, that even though i could eat anything, i still felt a restriction. While i was eating, i felt this ''i cant eat more, something is holding me back from eating a full plate (That's how strong this HG Sickness was). It was trying to fight through the tablets. I got better as the weeks went by into about 18-20 weeks, and i decided to stock taking my tablets for the baby. I was fine and didn't need them. The odd blue moon occasion i'd have one if i felt i was going to be sick. But i did stop completely around that 20-24week mark. Now what i really want to share with you......My friend, The Wonderful Tablet. It's name is...CYCLIZINE.

May you get prescribed this tablet by your doctor and may it work wonders for you as it did with me! I never felt so piggish over my food!! ^_^ xxx
Yvetteebuntoo

Re: My Pregnancy Story Of Having HG

Postby Scott42 » May 01, 2015 4:30 am

Thanks a ton for sharing your experience! My friend is also suffering from these problems and I’ll definitely tell her about this tablet. Well she has got infertility treatment. She got the inspiration from some infertile celebrities.
Scott42

Re: My Pregnancy Story Of Having HG

Postby c600 » Nov 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Cyclizine never really helped with me but I have heard positive things about it from others. I was prescribed metaclopromide (reglan) for it to work I have to take it 3 times a day consistently every day I also take 76mg of vitamin b6 and 1,100mg of ginger. I feel almost normal. I can finally do housework and look after my son again. It's great.
c600

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum