Starting to prepare...

Moms with HG in their 3rd trimester.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47, MichellevsHG, mammaclare

Starting to prepare...

Postby Atsie » Jan 10, 2009 7:34 pm

Well since Camerons birth left me totally un prepared I have started gathering items and putting them in a suitcase. So far, its mostly for the baby though!!I have my nursing pj's and thats it for me.... For the baby I have 3 hats, a sleeper, 2 outfits, a blanket and the miracle blanket.

I figured that if i shop bits and pieces at a time over the next few weeks it wont be as expensive. I have been looking at www.kijiji.com (well .ca for me) I LOVE it! I got two brand new miracle blankets for $10 each!! And they had a AMBY BED for $180 but I missed out on that by hours. There is still one, at a no bad price, but its just too much right now. But I think if another comes up I can convince DH we NEED it! I think the line "But if we get the Amby bed, then we can finally have sex in our bed" should get me what I want.

So what types of things do you just have to have before the baby comes? I know most are too sick to shop or what not, But I thought it might be fun to focus on the baby instead of the sickness for a bit!
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby sweetpea » Jan 10, 2009 7:55 pm

What's an AMBY bed? Is that like a bassinet? I got a bassinet and a crib on Craigslist. My parents got me a travel system for Christmas. I bought a pack and play that has a bassinet level and changing level. It normally costs $100, but I got it for $65. My MIL and I managed to make it to a couple yard sales last fall, where I got baby toys and clothes REALLY cheap. We went to like three yard sales total, but they just happened to be all baby stuff. I got most of the clothing that I will need for the first year for under $20. I managed to get mostly neutral items too, which is good b/c we're not finding out what the gender is ahead of time.
Faith - April 1, 2009
Grace - November 26, 2010
Ladybug (foster baby) June 7, 2011

Angel baby January 2012
Angel baby February 2012

sweetpea
HG Diva

Postby Atsie » Jan 10, 2009 8:07 pm

http://www.ambybaby.com/ From what I have heard the Amby bed is like ambien for babies! Even the most fussy babies will sleep and sleep well!

Good job on the garage sales!!
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby sweetpea » Jan 10, 2009 8:10 pm

That's a really cute bed!
Faith - April 1, 2009

Angel baby January 2012
Angel baby February 2012

sweetpea
HG Diva

Postby OlisMommy » Jan 10, 2009 8:44 pm

*your own pads, if you dont like theirs
*your own underwear, ifyou dont like the mesh
*shampoo, soap, and conditioner (you have a PICC line right? I wanted a non PICC shower after I got mine out, but not with crappy hospital toiletries)
*I brought safe foods, because I didnt believe I would actually feel better
*A comfy outfit to go home in (yoga pants, and a sweatshirt was me)
*make sure the carseat is where it needs to be
*hair ties, hair brush

That is all I can think of right now. I am glad you are getting close enough to think about this!

edit: i am going to leave this post as is even though i just realized you asked to focus on the baby.
Last edited by OlisMommy on Jan 10, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HG 5wk-34wk (aka:birth) I had it bad, we almost died. I did everything but the NJ. I do NJ in my line of work. I can tell you all about them except how they feel. ER/Trauma/ICU RN PM me anything.
IMG_0266_2_4 by Yum! Yum! Mommy!, on Flickr
OlisMommy
Devoted to You

Postby justbishop » Jan 10, 2009 8:53 pm

I feel like we're totally unprepared (aside from the fact that we still have to BUILD her bedroom, lol)!

My mom got us a travel system, so we're good on the infant carseat and stroller (it's even a jogger, yay!) We also just bought an arm's reach bassinet and an infant swing used from a friend, so she's set on a place to sleep in our room for a while. As for clothing, I don't think we have ANYTHING practical yet...just frilly pink fluff! So we need to buy the basics still. My mom has taken it upon herself to put a bunch of baby towels, washcloths, recieving blankets and such on layaway at Kmart. I'm not complaining, less for me to worry about! We were at BRU tonight and I almost freaked out and bought sheet savers and sleep sacks, but DH told me I was being hasty and we have plenty of time :P

I do feel pretty prepared with my cloth diaper stash, though! All I have to do is start prepping them, and I just bought the right detergent for that tonight, so that's a project for next week.

Bleh. I feel so behind!
Claudia Charles - March 14, 2009
justbishop
Been There Done That

Postby sweetpea » Jan 10, 2009 9:10 pm

We're building the baby's room literally! We renovating a house that was built in 1880. My husband is almost finished putting up the walls in the upstairs which includes baby's rooom and our room. (I can't wait to actually have a bedroom!) Our home is a construction zone. We're staying in the downstairs while DH completely gutted the upstairs (plaster walls). We have a layer of coal soot covering the downstairs with a layer of drywall dust on top. What a mess!
DH ran all new electric and did framing. Had insulation put in. DH is putting up drywall, hardibacker and doing the mudding. We had the original hardwood pine floors refinished and tile put in the bathroom. Next week DH should be priming and painting. Then comes molding, closet fixtures, doors and installation of plumbing fixtures done by none other than my DH.
Sorry for the book, I'm just so excited that it is getting closer to being done. When you're covered in soot, staring at the bare frames of walls and the open frayed electric it gets discouraging! Not to mention unsafe -- especially for baby!
Everything upstairs should be ready by the time baby gets here. :D Then we can work on the downstairs. :(
Faith - April 1, 2009

Angel baby January 2012
Angel baby February 2012

sweetpea
HG Diva

Postby Schatje » Jan 10, 2009 9:49 pm

I am quite frankly super anal about everything so having hg and having to rely on others to get stuff done was tough. In fact I’m reigning in my need to make a full on list of everything that baby needs right now. :lol: At home I had to have everything in its place before the baby came and the house scrubbed top to bottom. My poor dh and niece did it all for me. :oops:

A few of my must have baby items include sleep sacks, lots of feety sleepers, and a boppy.

I didn't bring much when I went to the hospital the second time because I packed what was suggested in the books the first time round and didn't use most of it. Yes, I was still nuts enough to read the books even though they are full of crackers and most of the time I wanted to throw them out the window. So the bare basics for me that went into the bag were going home clothes, undies, stuff to finally take the first and best post pg shower ever, my camera, extra batteries, dh's video camera, the cell phone and charger, a small fan, and a back massager. That was everything I took with me for the labor, delivery, hospital stay, and going home.

Sounds like you have the baby gear down, but may I suggest your own favorite bottles if you are bottle feeding, incase the ones at the hospital suck, or lansinoh if you are bfing. Actually, start the lansinoh now if you are bfing and it should help after the baby comes. My hospital doesn't give wipes, only wash cloths and a squirt bottle, I hate that and they never get off that tar like poop so I brought my own wipes. Oh, and don't forget the burp cloths.

You might want to bring the baby's baby book and extra paper (acid free cardstock preferably) and when they do the foot prints get them to do them in the baby book and on the cardstock for you to use later.
~Heidi 2X HG survivor
Schatje
Forum Moderator

Postby janbabe » Jan 10, 2009 10:21 pm

I mentioned this in another similar thread a while back but I'll say it again because its a total lifesaver... and an absolute MUST for your hospital bag...
Put in a roll of soft toilet paper so you dont have to use the horrible paper most hospitals provide. Have fun packing!! :D
~Janene~
Mum to an angel baby, May 2007 @15 weeks
And Tex born 28th August 2008 9lb 6oz
And.... its another boy!
Jethro born 9th June 2011 9lb 7oz
janbabe
Forum Moderator

Postby ~Sara~ » Jan 10, 2009 11:25 pm

I've made a list to pack for the hospital but haven't actually packed yet.

We've got all the baby stuff ready at home though, baby will be with us until she's sleeping well enough to share a room with Logan so there was no nursery to work on. Cloth diapers are all washed and ready, clothes are washed and ready.

Erin, you wouldn't believe the deal I got on an Amby! When I was pregnant back in March '07 (I lost that baby) I stumbled on an older Amby bed in a consignment shop for $35! I bought it and when I got home I called the Amby people to make sure it hadn't been recalled or anything and it turns out it's just a fabric pattern they don't make any more. Other than that it's exactly the same as a brand new one. I just spent another $20 to replace the mattress.
Sara

Luke - August 1995 (NVP)
Logan - July 2005 (NVP)
Lily - January 26, 2009 (HG wk 5-delivery)
3 Angel babies
~Sara~
Been There Done That

Postby cjwedding » Jan 11, 2009 10:03 am

I borrowed an Amby baby bed when Delaina was born. She had reflux really bad and that is the ONLY place she would sleep. I ran into the woman (from a local mommy board) that let me borrow it a few weeks ago and told her I may be calling her again. It was a true lifesaver.
MY DARLING DAUGHTERS

Autumn 3 - 8/7/05 HG from week 6
Delaina 1 - 6/3/07 HG week 9 and Zofran pump through week 36
Brennan - 3/14/09 mild HG first trimester
cjwedding
Been There Done That

Postby KatyLee » Jan 11, 2009 10:21 am

Well... I still have to pack the hospital bag.

I have the nursery painted, carpeted, I have all new wood furniture (crib, changer and amoure) and a really nice glider for feeding. The trim and crown molding is all up.. we just have a few basic touch ups and then the nursery can be decorated and organized.... I will post pics when it is all finished. I am having my baby shower next saturday.. so that will be nice.. 47 people are coming :shock: so i am sure i will get a lot of what I need.. we already have some clothes... a travel system (car seat and stroller) and a baby einstien jumper... As far as that.. whatever I dont get that I need DH and I will go out an get before week 37... so by then we should hve everything all set up and ready to go... "fingers crossed"

For the hospital bag.. I will pack Pjs, my own socks/slippers, comfy sweatshirts and yoga pants.... I will pack clothes and food for DH as well as like DVDs and stuff to help pass the time... I think i will be having a long labor.. i dunno why..

For baby.... I will pack onsies, sleepers, hats, bootie socks.. some blankets and burb clothes.. and the bobby..

Oh I will for sure suggest bringing your own pillows.. the pillows in the hospital suck.. and a blanket for DH..

I also hate hospital food.. so yeah.. i will pack snacks too!
KatyLee
Been There Done That

Postby RebeccaM » Jan 11, 2009 10:36 am

Oh my....I am soooooo not ready. I have one thing: a bassinet that someone loaned me. Over than that, I literally have nothing. We don't know the sex so I haven't bought ANY clothes yet, but I'll probably get a couple of neutral pj's in the next few weeks. I also need a car seat, stroller, bouncer, carrier, diapers, wipes, bottles, pacifiers, and this list could go on and on.

I have not even thought about the hospital bag til now. I'll probably wait a few weeks on that. I've never delivered even close to early. But I LOVE the toilet paper idea!
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Re: Starting to prepare...

Postby Minimalist » Jul 29, 2015 6:59 am

Hi,

You did online shopping for your kids at very reasonable price. And even all products are of brands. I am new here and want to see some reviews. I am from Sydney, Australia and looking for muslin wraps, swaddle wrap and baby blankets brands in Australia. Anyone here to help me out?
Aden and Anais Sale in Australia
Minimalist

Return to Third Trimester HG