NAUSEA... what is for Nausea specifically?

Moms with HG in their 3rd trimester.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47, MichellevsHG, mammaclare

NAUSEA... what is for Nausea specifically?

Postby emily » May 06, 2005 11:57 am

Is it just Unisom? That stuff knocks me out no matter how I take it. Is there anything else? Ugh... I am so sick of being soooo nauseated. And, now, absolutely no food agrees with me. It is like, if I eat anything, it makes me sick. It just sticks in my throat and makes me feel terrible.

I really hope my acupuncture appt tomorrow helps!!!!
emily
Devoted to You

x

Postby foxwoodfaerie » May 06, 2005 12:08 pm

Emily,
I think it's B-6 and Unisom together. I've heard Benadryl helps too. But, that knocks me out too.
I've completely given up on trying to control my nausea. Nothing works!!! Grrrr....
I'm sorry you are feeling crappy. (((hugs)))

Ruth
Aidan, James and Thayer
and....I'm DONE!!!!
foxwoodfaerie
Been There Done That

Postby Marie » May 06, 2005 1:34 pm

Hi Emily,

The only other one I have heard of is dramamine, but I have no experience with this drug so I don't know how it works.

My PTL meds are making the nausea worse than ever, so if you find something that works please let me know.

Take Care,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby bibliojo » May 06, 2005 2:32 pm

Emily,

Sorry to disappoint you but I have taken both Diclectin (Unisom and B6) and Dramamine and I still had dibilitating nausea. However, probably if I hadn't taken them, I would have been worse off.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Jolene » May 06, 2005 3:08 pm

Emily,

Let us know how the accupuncture works. I have always wanted to try it but the cost scares me away. I hope it works for you!

Jolene
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby bibliojo » May 06, 2005 4:38 pm

Emily, I forgot to mention that if you think that unisom is bad....dramamine is even worse for sleepiness! Well, let me qualify that...I've never taken unisom, but have taken Diclectin and it has the same ingredients unless the unisom has some other stuff in it. But lets just say, when I'm suffering from insomnia, I don't take a sleeping pill - I just take a dramamine! :wink:

Hope the accupuncture helps!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby emily » May 06, 2005 4:50 pm

Thanks everyone. I have of course tried everything I can think of. I don't know why I was holding out hope that there might be something I would have missed. LOL Geez.

Acupuncture cost has scared me too. It is $60 a visit. I have a new friend who just happens to be an acupuncturist and she is actually trading me. So, I have at least three visits traded out for. I will let you all know how it goes.

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby aaronsmommy » May 06, 2005 8:03 pm

I think a lot of people have success with Meclizine for this. It's also known as "Dramamine non drowsy" so I think it would probably be better for the sedation as well. I took it for a while, I can't say it made much of a dent, but nothing really did and I don't remember much drowsiness. Pamela was the Meclizine Queen so if you have questions I'm sure she can answer them.

Some people have luck with as little as 1/4 of a unisom, you may have tried that already though.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby HelenA » May 07, 2005 1:55 am

I think if there was a miracle drug that completely wahed away the nausea then none of us would have HG, we'd just take it from conception til birth and have "normal" pregnancies. Oh if only.....SIGH
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby emily » May 07, 2005 11:17 am

KimberlyAnn's mummy wrote:I think if there was a miracle drug that completely wahed away the nausea then none of us would have HG, we'd just take it from conception til birth and have "normal" pregnancies. Oh if only.....SIGH

LOL Well, that is true. I am not really feeling "hg" nausea though. It isn't that debihlitating. In fact, I pretty much go about life but I just always feel sick, like car sick all of the time. I was thinking it might be treatable since it isn't so bad.

I will try that non-drowsy drammamine. I think I am also going to try (gasp) sea bands again. I swore I would never... but whatever.

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby teddi » May 07, 2005 3:01 pm

Emily,

I did find Meclizine somewhat helpful. For a while it was part of my zofran/reglan/zantac/meclizine regimen....

FWIW, I used it at night mostly. I did find I slept better w/it. I took 2 (25 mgs pills I think) at night. I found I had better DAYS when my nights were better. No side effects for me- couldn't hurt to try!

I'm adding- Meclizine didn't make me overly sleepy, but a little bit, but that's just me. Even the "non-drowsy" stuff makes me sluggish. And Benadryl? Yeah, fell asleep vacuuming once.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby nomore » May 07, 2005 8:27 pm

Emily,

Just catching up, we went to Disney this last week, before we TTC :)

I just wanted to add that ginger is also effective for both nausea and vomtiing. It does NOT make you drowsy (NOR hyper). I think the max dosage is 250 mgs 4 times a day.

I hope the accupunture helps. I LOVE mine, but have not experineced it yet pregnant :)

Hoping your hanging in there....
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby HGx3 » May 07, 2005 10:40 pm

Emily,

Have yout tried crackers and gingerale?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though,
It is hard to find an antiemetic that doesnt make you drowsy to some degree. Another suggestion is vistaril. And if you are willing to try the sea bands, you may want to ask your doc for the patch you can wear behind your ear. Here I go, help with the spelling girls: syscolamine ?????patch
I know that isnt correct, but I cant remember how to spell it or what it is called for sure. I was too sick to care when I was using it :cry:

Sorry you are feeling bad, I wish I had a cure for you!!!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby aaronsmommy » May 07, 2005 10:48 pm

I think Lisa means scopolamine.

Always worth searching for that miracle drug!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby bibliojo » May 08, 2005 1:33 am

Emily, I just wanted to post in regards to ginger that you can take 500 mg twice a day and try to take the pure ginger root rather than the extract. I just talked to Motherisk earlier this week in regards to this as I could not find 250mg of ginger anywhere!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby emily » May 08, 2005 9:41 am

In regards to ginger... I have terrible reflux and heartburn. I am taking Zantac twice a day and that is barely cutting it. Ginger really seems to aggravate that (if I eat anything with ginger in it). Are the capsules less irritating to the stomach?

I do feel a bit better this morning... trying not to get my hopes up too much.
emily
Devoted to You

Postby rjdecker » May 08, 2005 12:13 pm

Emily, Try vistaril if your doc will let you. it is a drug from the 1950s but works very well! I have taken it for the last three pgs and what a difference it made. I take the unisom/B6 combo at the beginning when the Hg is not that bad, but it never holds me. this time I tried Dramamine and it held me out a little longer, but not much. I eventually ended up on the vistaril. It takes away the n.v and no icky side effects, except, being very tired, but once your body gets used to it, you can actually function somewhat like a normal person. the only other side effect is extreme hunger! Kind of nice, huh? Vistaril is in the same class of drug as the dramamine and benadryl, so don't take them together as you can overdose on antihistamines. The other good thing about vistaril is that it is antianxiety. I get very anxious when i am so sick all the time. It helps a lot.
Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby nomore » May 09, 2005 8:06 am

Emily,

Ginger also gives me heartburn. Pairing it with zantac 75 mgs (OTC dose) seems to help. Although, I am not sure if you are taking antacids already. I just wanted to also add that I found 200 mg doseage at my local grocery store (Shaws) in the natural foods section where they have herbs and vitamins.

I also bought ginger chews at Trader Joes (havent tried them yet).

I also thought of anotehr option for you. When pregnant with Madison, in the 3rd trimester the nausea came back again. I tried these motion sickness disolveable tabs from the healthfood store (which I had tried in the 1st trimester and they didnt help then, but they DID offer SOME relief in the 3rd. Its called Dolisos homeopathic travel sickness medicine. It has the following herbs, ingrediants in it: belladonna, cocculus ind, colchicum,ipecacacunha, nux vomica, petroluem, tabacum.

It wasnt so bad as it disoloved under the tongue. They were recommend by the store owner and I did take them when pregnant.

HTH... thinking of you

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby Jolene » May 09, 2005 12:17 pm

I take Nux Vomica on its own and it is pretty helpful, not always but most of the time. Also, when I get really nauseaus or smell something disgusting, I break off a piece of ginger root and hold it under my nose. It really makes me relax and keeps the quesiness down a bit. I bring it in the car with me alot.
Jolene
HG Diva

Return to Third Trimester HG