Round 3 (baby)-should I be wiser/more aggressive?

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Round 3 (baby)-should I be wiser/more aggressive?

Postby Heather » Jun 25, 2004 5:02 pm

7 wks. pregnant with what will be my third child. Symptoms seemed to start even earlier this time around at 4 weeks then it did with my first 2. Am nervous since the height of my misery wasn't until week 13ish with my first two and I am already so miserable. My first pregnancy was in ATL where I never got the impression my doc didn't think my illness was in my head. 2nd was in NYC-2 hospitalizations where I was told I had HG, however, my physician upon discharge still discredited my suffering to morning sickness...pushing the BS Saltine regiment. Here I am, with my third, knowing what lies ahead. Haven't seen a doc yet, but does anyone have any suggestions on being aggressive about the validity of HG w/ physicians/midwives? Do I have to end up in the ER for someone to take me seriously? There are no physicians in my area listed on the referral network...but I have bombed with my first two pregnancies of getting a whole lot of sympathy until I am dehydrated on IV's in the hospital. SO frustrating. I learned about this illness while in the ER--but don't ever seem to have carry over consistency with the ongoing OB care.
Heather

Re: Round 3 (baby)-should I be wiser/more aggressive?

Postby MamaLily » Jun 25, 2004 11:54 pm

Heather -

Welcome! Congratulations on your pregnancy. I'm sorry that the HG has started earlier this time...maybe you will be over it earlier as well?!

Yes, I think you should definitely be very proactive and aggressive with this pregnancy. It's ridiculous that your doctors haven't taken you seriously until you are dehydrated in the ER. And there are other (better!) ways of getting rehydrated than going to the ER.

My advice would be to find a new doctor - quickly. I will help you! I'm a moderator in the "Find a Physician" forum. Please post there about yourself and I'd be happy to help you find a doctor who will take you seriously with HG. If you can tell me where you live and what hospital you prefer, that would be very helpful. There are doctors out there who ARE educated about HG and possible treatment options!

Are you taking any meds? What has worked for you in the past? If you can get started now on the meds that worked last time, I think it will really help you. There are others here who can give you lots of good tips on what med combos to try!

Good luck to you and keep us posted. I'm so glad you found this forum...it will make all the difference for you! We have all been through this ourselves and we are here for you!

Hang in there!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 26, 2004 9:21 pm

Hi, Heather. Congratulations on the new pregnancy! I definitely think you need to take charge of your own treatment. Don't ask; tell. I didn't learn that until my 4th time through, but that empowerment saved me a lot of pain and agony as far as my worst HG was concerned. Inform your doctor that you have HG; use the medical terminology. Inform them that you've been through it before and are the expert on you. Give them step-by-step details on what treatments you'd like to try and when (this is where a good protocol comes in handy). Run through your history with HG so they understand the progression it will take. Sadly, it may take a visit to the ER for them to really take you seriously, but then the gloves are off and you're not taking no for an answer. It's too bad so many doctors are scared to treat any NVP and will wait while HG spirals out of control. Your drs need to see the new ACOG guidelines. Good luck to you, and I will get you in touch with a volunteer from your area!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Kariinbliss » May 13, 2005 9:22 pm

Congrats on the pregnancy!! I am pg with #3 also (5w), and have the same concerns! I am in a different part of the country than where my first two were born, and I'm not entirely sure my doc took my suggestion to get my old hospital records seriously! This whole thing is so scary! My HG started around 7 weeks with #1, 6 weeks with #2, but so far I've just had some mild passing nausea... what a relief! (although I'm still waiting for that other shoe to fall!) The few people (aside from online friends) that I've told have asked when they can tell others I'm pg. My standard reply is..." Everybody may know by next week, if I have HG again!" I'm still "cautiously optimistic" but so very happy to be in touch with others in the same boat!!! Take care, ladies!
Kariinbliss
Been There Done That

Postby Marie » May 14, 2005 8:24 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I think the other ladies have given some excellent advise. I just wanted to pop in and welcome you to the boards and offer my support.

Best Wishes,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby bunniet » May 15, 2005 6:19 pm

It never hurts to get prepared. I really prepped myself for hg with this pg and I really feel it has helped! I still feel yucky, but it could be worse. When I found out I was pg, I called my MD and got Zofran right away and started on it as soon as the nausea kicked in! I also took unisom and B6 as a chaser. It seems to help. I hope you can find the right combo! Congrats on your pg!!!!! I hope the hg bug misses you!
Cheri Due with #7 10-14-05
bunniet
Opinionated HGer

Postby rjdecker » May 16, 2005 9:33 am

Welcome and congratulations! I take vistaril and it helps me. Not used very often, though. Most take zofran, but it never worked for me. The trick is to find what works for you. Once you do, those ER trips may decrease, but you have to find a doc who will treat you appropriately. Others have given great advice for that, so I will chime in my agreement.
Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Return to New to the Forums