New here and want to wean from Zofran.....

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

New here and want to wean from Zofran.....

Postby gelsum » May 05, 2005 10:15 am

I am so glad to see this site!!!!! This is my 8th pregnancy and I have never been this bad. I have never been told I have HG, but after reading so many posts, I can relate with so many. I have never lost weight, but it is strange that I gain when I am so sick.

With this one, I can't keep liquids down without the Zofran. I am almost 16 weeks, and I am trying to go down to 4 mg only once a day instead of twice, I threw up the Zofran this morning and now I am scared to try to take it again....I am so thirsty, yet I don't dare drink....If I keep on a schedule of every 12 hours I am fine, but with every 24, I can't seem to keep liquids down. This is the first pg with the Zofran. I know I have to drink so I don't dehydrate again. If I lay perfectly still for an hour I know I can keep it down, but I have 3 little ones at home, so being still is virtually impossible. Oh the frustration!

I can't imagine so many people in one place that understand what I am going through, and I don't even feel like I am as bad off as many of you who are suffering. I used to be told it was all in my mind (family) and to get over it. I guess I can't say enough how great it is to find this site.
gelsum

Postby Marie » May 05, 2005 11:24 am

Hello and welcome to the forums. Congratulations on your latest edition.
I would say you are not ready to wean from the Zofran. If anything perhaps discuss with your doctor the possibility of increasing the Zofran to aid in getting more fluids aboard (the dose you are on now is my matainence dose). Getting rehydrated may make you feel 100x better.

Take Care,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby bostonmama » May 05, 2005 2:34 pm

Welcome to our group. I can relate, as I have been asking about weaning from Zofran myself, and am now at 21 weeks. As ladies here pointed out to me, if I get sick without the Zofran, it means I still need it and why force myself to wean from it? I was getting some pressure from my doctor and others I guess to "get over it" and just assumed it was time to wean without thinking about it. But it wasn't the right time for me. I take one Zofran/day and half a Unisom/night. Now I feel I have plateaued and it will be like this until the end and I have accepted that I may be taking Zofran until the end.

If you want to wean because of others, tell THEM to get over it. If you want to wean because of your doctor/ins. co. just tell them you need it, period. If you want to wean because of side effects, there are lots of suggestions here for dealing with them (especially the constipation). I don't want to discourage you if you really want to get off it, but it does sound like it's helping you and you definitely want to stay hydrated.

Best of luck.
bostonmama

Postby HelenA » May 05, 2005 4:08 pm

Welcome aboard!

Maybe if you are throwing the zofran up that could be the problem, maybe zofran isn't the right drug for you? You could try a different combination and see if that helps. There really is no point weaning off meds if you are still so bad, I'll be on the phenergan until the end now, I tried having a few days off but I went right back to square one, and it really isn't worth it.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby freesgirl » May 05, 2005 4:23 pm

gelsum... i agree with kimberly you may want to try another med or a combination... you can grow immune to the zofran and it can actually stop working... that is what happened with me.... i hope you start feeling better hun
~Crystal

08-08-02(HG whole time)

lost an angel due to miscarriage on 10-04-04

08/30/05 (HG whole time)

New Angel!!! LMP 12/14/14 so due date is around 9/20/15
freesgirl
Been There Done That

Postby RebeccaM » May 05, 2005 8:00 pm

With Zofran, it is likely that if it worked before and then stops working it is because your HG has gotten worse and you need a higher dosage to combat your symptoms. Pairing it with another drug, such as phenergan, could also help.

With my first pregnancy, I learned very quickly that the regular Zofran tabs would not work for me because (duh!) I couldn't keep water down! Now I will only use the Zofran ODT tabs which dissolve right in your mouth (no water involved). Maybe you could ask your doc about them.

Meanwhile, I hope you get some relief and don't let yourself get too dehydrated. :)
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby bunniet » May 06, 2005 8:04 am

I'm 17week pg and tried to wean from Zofran...no luck! I go right back to being sick!..I ran out of unisom as well and thought I could go without...no luck with that either! I still take them twice a day or I'm miserable! My thought is if they work and you need them...take them!
Cheri
bunniet
Opinionated HGer

Thank you everyone:)

Postby gelsum » May 06, 2005 8:12 am

I really appreciate all the remarks. I wanted to go off it for a number of reasons....maybe all silly, but the side effects are definitely one of them. I also just don't like to keep taking meds, but I guess it is just part of life right now. I also have a neighbor nearby whose husband works for the same company and talked about the insurance not allowing her to have anymore. She is doing ok without it now, and her situation is different.....I guess I am just concerned. I talked to the pharmacist last night and he said my biggest problem was that I was taking it once every 24 hours and it is a 12 hour med. Oh, should have figured that out by the dosage they gave me. :) So I guess I keep on see how it goes.
gelsum

Postby bunniet » May 06, 2005 8:31 am

I hope taking it more often helps...let us know! :) :)
Cheri
bunniet
Opinionated HGer

Postby rjdecker » May 06, 2005 9:16 am

Welcome here! I found that here is where I find most of my support and I am learning so much about HG that I didn't know before, even though this is #5 for me. I hope taking the zofran twice a day will help you. Hang in there. I found that zofran did not help me, even IV and so we went to vistaril, which works wonders and the side effects are actually more pleasant. For example, you get very hungry and actually can eat with it! I call that a great side effect. I tis also cheaper and no constipation with it. it isn't used very often, but it really works!
Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby ctanis » May 06, 2005 9:30 pm

I got myself weaned down to one pill in the morning. The one doctor wanted me to get off zofran so I thought I would try but the one day I did not take it ended up in the hospital to get fluids. I still have to take the zofran in the morning because I feel really sick when I wake up. I am 36weeks3days. I am just glad that I do not have to take it so many times a day. I hope you can wean off it soon.
ctanis

Postby freesgirl » May 10, 2005 11:01 pm

well, in my case i was put on 8mg ODT of zofran the dissolving kind that goes in your mouth... and the doctor had me taking it every 8 hours lol and i still vommitted and was nauseated and lost 30 pounds in the matter of months... at first i only had 4mg but the nausea and vommitting got worse so he uped the dosage to 8mg... doctor told me that women can become immune to it and it won't work anymore so switched my meds once again... :wink: anyways i was committing on the post where they said they may need more dosage if it is not working... try that but if it works and then stops working you might need to switch meds alltogether like i had too...
~Crystal

08-08-02(HG whole time)

lost an angel due to miscarriage on 10-04-04

08/30/05 (HG whole time)

New Angel!!! LMP 12/14/14 so due date is around 9/20/15
freesgirl
Been There Done That

Return to New to the Forums