Bedridden?

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Bedridden?

Postby katiebird » Mar 16, 2005 11:15 am

Is it normal to be pretty much bedridden? I have been sick about 7 weeks and I really don't feel like doing anything. I stay in my bedroom most of the day - either in bed or in a rocking chair. If I try to do more I end up sicker. Zofran has stopped the vomiting, but the nausea is still brutal. I hate to leave my room for fear of seeing or smelling something. Is this common? Do I need to push myself to do more?
katiebird

Postby Marie » Mar 16, 2005 11:25 am

Hello,

What you described is completely normal. It is a huge accomplishment at this point to make it to the rocker.
My advise would be not to push yourself, and don't let family push you either. I remember the comments of how much better I would feel if I just got out of the bed. Tried it and actually felt worse.

Best Wishes,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby pippa » Mar 16, 2005 11:57 am

Katie, I'm there with ya!

Today is a good day where I made it to the living room recliner. I sometimes can get out here, be online for a little while, let the kids play, and then head back when they nap/have rest time.

Once DH gets home, though, I'm in bed for the night. I get sick of looking at my bedroom a lot, but you are right.. no sights/smells there to gross me out. I sometimes wonder if I would feel great if I could just lie there all day with a catheter and not even have to get up to pee. :)

WTG if you can sit up in a rocker!

~ pippa

^i^ Baby ^i^ 4.95
Beanie 1.10.00
^i^ Sprout ^i^ 6.01
Buster 3.07.02
Bug 8.10.03
Tattoo (One determined baby... got past a tubal ligation!) due 9.23.05
pippa
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Mar 16, 2005 4:16 pm

Totally normal, yep. My world was bed to toilet and back again. I did find that good meds and daily fluids helped expand that to bed, toilet, living room recliner and back again! Hope things settle down for you soon; until then, do what your body tells you to and rest.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby sonie716 » Mar 18, 2005 1:01 pm

I have to say its normal. For me it was the living room couch becasue i have a t.v. out there. Otherwise it was bed bathroom couch. Thats it. I remember my husband wanted mexican and i knew it would make me sick but he still made it so i locked myself in the bathroom with my nose plugged. My husband could not wear cologne because it made me sick. So i was confined to my house unless i went to the doctors.
Casondra
Wife to Chris
Calvin 06/03 severe Hg
Angel in Glory 11/04
Catherine Moderate Hg 05/07
Carolynn Mild Hg 01/09
Chloe Mild Hg 03/10
Miscarriage 08/12
#5 due Aug 2013
sonie716
Been There Done That

yup

Postby IslandDreamer » Mar 19, 2005 11:25 am

That was me too.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

totally normal

Postby rjdecker » Mar 21, 2005 12:08 pm

Yep! I am that way too. Yesterday was our 12th anniversary and the husband cleaned the house, fed the kids, and took care of me all day while I slept on the couch! What a great man! He may have trouble understanding what I am going through, but he is trying real hard and really making a difference for me.
Jenny
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby jazlynsmum » Mar 22, 2005 1:51 am

At least I dont have to feel guilty about being in bed pretty much all day every day anymore, now that I know I'm not overreacting!!!!
Its definately the safest room in the house.My bedroom is on the top floor, a very safe distance from the kitchen and all the nasty smells that eminate from there. :(
The only time I have left the house since the hg hit has been for a visit to the doctor!!!!Thankfully its only a very short walk from my house, as there is NO WAY i could get into a car for even a short journey.
I FINALLY had my 1st dose of zofran yest and I was able to keep down a whole slice of toast....the first thing I have kept down for days....so thanks to zofran, today I had enough energy to walk downstairs and sit on the couch....I even made my baby girl a bottle today and put her to bed.Jazlyn is 14mths and I have hardly spent any time with her over the last 6wks or so....that makes me feel terribly guilty!!
I vomitted EVERY SINGLE DAY of my pg with jazlyn.I lost 10kg..... So I know that I wont be getting better any time soon and that the next 6mths or so will be spent in bed...
I'm getting heaps of help though, from my partner, parents, inlaws...I dont know what I would do without them.
jazlynsmum

Postby rjdecker » Mar 22, 2005 11:51 am

I have to say that even though HG is not well known and we have to work hard to get the correct treatment, I am sooooo glad I am not a pioneer! Those women probably died with this. I am glad there is stuff out there to help a little bit! Zofran for most and my miracle drug is vistaril. I am so glad I live here and now!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby PamelaRose » Mar 25, 2005 12:10 am

I was pregnant with one of my kids when PBS' "Pioneer House" series was running, and my doctor and I discussed care for HG on the wild frontier. He said I would most assuredly have died with Brody's pregnancy (my first full-term); I'm sure a huge percentage of HGers did in pre-IV days. :(
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Beth B » Mar 25, 2005 10:29 am

I know this is off the topic, but the mention of "Frontier House" triggered a vivid HG memory - I was pregnant with William then, and the episode where they (FOODMENT) ate rattlesnake (END FOODMENT) triggered my first bout with nausea and vomiting, and I ended up in the hospital the next day. Great show, but I don't think I'll watch it again! :-) I, too, am VERY grateful for modern medical care!!
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

funny thing

Postby bunniet » Mar 25, 2005 4:41 pm

a few weeks ago I was laying on my couch trying really hard not to throw up...guess what I was watching!!! Pioneer House. I never want to see it again because it will remind me of being sick! Last pg I watched the Iron Chef! (go figure!) Have'nt watched it since! :lol: But I agree, I would have died from hg me first pg if I lived in another era! SCARY!

Cheri
bunniet
Opinionated HGer

Postby rjdecker » Mar 28, 2005 11:48 am

Beth and Cheri,
I have watched shows that I will never watch again because they remind me of being so sick. Mostly commercials, though. One commercial reminds me in particular, the one a few years ago for some baked beans. I hate commercials for restaurants. I think the rattlesnake would make me sick, too!
Jenny
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby Beth B » Mar 28, 2005 1:39 pm

Commercials can be awful - I remember in particular one from my last pregnancy for Lea and Perrins sauce that featured a closeup of a burger - I swear it aired throughout my entire pregnancy (I wanted to write them and say 'get a new ad!'), and I always had to mute the TV and look away. The weird pregnancy memories those of us with HG will have.... :-)
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

FOOD MENT

Postby PamelaRose » Mar 28, 2005 3:57 pm

Beth - My youngest was born in December of 2002, and I also remember being tormented by that stupid burger. I'd see that commercial and recall the words of the idiotic insurance co. nurse who told me to "eat lots of red meat" to take care of my anemia. Gag! Stupid commercials. :x
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby bunniet » Mar 28, 2005 5:39 pm

I ALSO HATE COMMERCIALS!!!!!!!!Especially a computer commercial they play ALL THE TIME!!! It makes me gag when I see it! I just can't wait until this is over!!!!!! Cheri
bunniet
Opinionated HGer

Postby Loretta » Mar 29, 2005 11:10 am

hi katiebird,

I know exactly how you feel i haven't washed the dishes in 2 months because of the smells....can't wash clothes...thank GOD for my husband to be there for our two girls. I have a part time job now and my boss is flexible enough to allow me to go home if i'm sick or not come in at all sometimes. I only come in for about 3 days a week, but on those 3 days i have to throw up and go on. I've noticed on the days that i lay down all day long i'm weeker and more exhausted and i even throw up more than the days that i make myself get up. I have my good days and my REALLY bad days. But i'm now in my second trimester which is probably why i have a tiny bit more energy than i did in my first trimester. There was no working AT ALL in my first trimester!! Do what you can and don't let anyone push you into getting up if you are not ready for it. Eventually you will be. Hang in there :)
Loretta

Return to New to the Forums