fifth time around and very nervous

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

fifth time around and very nervous

Postby rjdecker » Feb 15, 2005 12:03 pm

Hi, my name is Jennifer. I am five weeks pregnant and very nervous because I have had HG with my four other pregnancies and it was terrible! I haven't been very nauseated at all, yet. I am just holding my breath because it gives me about a week before it hits.

I am also a nurse and a lot of my struggles with HG related to work. It was difficult to get my employer to understand and I had limited time to take off before insurance would no longer cover me. I was on my feet all day long, running from one patient to the next and crying because it just felt so impossible to do anything. The worst was that my husband made a lot less money than I did and so, he kind of expected me to be to work. He was supportive on my days off, and then expected me to be to work. It hurt my feelings a lot because he tried to understand and yet, he just couldn't.

I also have had a number of people make rude comments to me. I was getting vistaril injections about twice a week and once I called the MD's office to make sure they were in and the medical assistant told me that I had to realize that being pregnant was miserable and that I could do it without the shot just like everyone else! I was so upset that I called my mom and she said, "Jenny, who is the nurse? Who knows your body? Call them back and tell them you will have that shot!" And you know what? That is exactly what I did! But, it still makes me feel lupset. I've had lots of other comments.

I am a little worried because every time I get a new OB we go through trying everything he suggests first and I end up in the hospital several times before they finallly give in to what works. Hopefully this time around will be different. I went to see this guy before I got pregnant and he seems to be on top of things. Wish me luck!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby hollymom » Feb 15, 2005 3:10 pm

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome and congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm glad you found this group because you will get the support you need here. It sounds like you've already spoken with your doctor about your hg so hopefully he will be very proactive and get you the help you need as soon as possible. Have you considered Zofran for your nausea and vomitting? If you start it before your symptoms become severe, it seems to be more effective for many women.

Remember, the rude comments are generally made out of ignorance. People who haven't been through this themselves just don't seem to understand. You won't get any of that here! It's a good place to vent. Read through the other topics and posts and you will find lots of ideas and suggestions to help you with this pregnancy.

Best wishes for an easier pregnancy this time around!! Love, Holly
Holly xxx
wife to Brian
mom to eight beautiful children
five hg pregnancies
three adoptions
hollymom
Been There Done That

zofran

Postby rjdecker » Feb 15, 2005 8:49 pm

Holly,
Thank you so much for replying. Yes, I have tried zofran with no luck. I even had it IV and it didn't touch me. It is expensive, too. The vistaril helps though. The only problem is it is by injection and it hurts if the nurse doesn't give it fast. But it sure beats being so sick. I was even able to work while on it. So, that is good. Too bad about the zofran. I was so excited that maybe I wouldn't have to have the shots. Oh well!
Jenny
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby PamelaRose » Feb 15, 2005 11:11 pm

Welcome, Jennifer! Wow--#5! That's wonderful. :D The feeling of waiting and worrying, though, not so wonderful. At least by this point you know the general progression the illness takes and can recognize what point you're at and where you're going with it. I found that dealing with my HG got easier and easier each time because I did know what was coming up.

I finally got to the point with my last pregnancy where I took control and stopped apologizing for being sick. Instead of suffering in silence, I called people up before I got too sick and TOLD them what I and my family would need while I was sick. I decided to not care about moronic comments, and it went well--much better than before. Spell it out for your husband and coworkers, and give yourself permission to take care of yourself the best way you can. I think that's really an important part of getting through HG.

As for the nurse, what to say? :roll: Some people simply will never get it, and it's really not worth wasting the breath. At least you have a whole community of women here who know exactly what you're going through and how important each and every shot is! Vistaril, huh? I've heard of it, but not commonly here. I think it's much more common in Australia. Hmm. But if it works, then you stick with it. Perhaps combining it with something else will be the saving grace? I found last time that Zofran had to be combined with meclizine, in my case, for best results. Don't be scared to speak up and demand new solutions. I found that writing it down and giving my husband the list of ideas before appts. helped. I usually chickened out, but he'd stick to the script and make me address concerns with my doctor.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby HelenA » Feb 16, 2005 6:55 am

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I have to commend you all that have had more than one child. I am on my first pg and I am in serious thought as to whether I could do this again. Of course I would love to have a brood of kids and I know that not all women have HG with other pregnancies, but I am not sure that I want to risk it. I spent nearly the first 4 months in bed or in a sleeping bag on the sofa, with a bucket by my side because I was too weak to get up and run to the toilet. I'd really like to have another so it won't be an only child, but it scares me just thinking that it could happen again.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Thanks!

Postby rjdecker » Feb 17, 2005 11:38 am

Hellon,
Just a note to let you know that with my first, I swore that I would not go through this again. But somehow, I got baby hungry and forgot about how bad I had really been. I even told myself that it might be better the next time around. In a way, it did get better because with each new kid, I wasn't sick as long. And I learned how to take care of myself, I guess.
Pamela, I have been reading some other topics and found that zofran in combo with other drugs actually helps. Maybe it might be worth a try. We never tried that. Interesting that vistaril is used more in Australia. I didn't know that. My mother had HG with all her pg and vistaril and dramamine seemed to help her as well. This couldn't be familial? I actually am starting the nausea and have been taking B6 and unisom. I have a new OB and am finding I really like this nurse. She seems to be very understanding and listens. We have decided to try dramamine and see if it helps. I took some last night and it took away the nausea, but I felt really goofy!
Jenny
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby PamelaRose » Feb 17, 2005 7:00 pm

You know, Zofran and meclizine was my magic cure last time. We tried Dramamine, too, and while it did help, it didn't have the great effects my doctor was hoping for. Meclizine was the next try (after Unisom, Phenergan, and Compazine). Keep trying--maybe some of the things that didn't work on their own in the past will work in combination. I really do think that HG follows a few different patterns, and that women whose patterns are similar will respond best to the same types of treatment. I'm certainly going to stock up on meclizine when my sweet little girls are family planning someday a quarter-century from now!

Vistiril...hmmm. I KNOW I've heard of it used, but I may be making up the Australia part. lol I'm sure, sooner or later, that someone from Oz will wander by and tell me I'm nuts, then someone else from wherever it really is will stop in and tell me what I'm trying to remember. :wink:
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Marie » Feb 19, 2005 10:18 am

Jenny,

Hello. I can't believe I missed this thread. Congratulations on your pregnancy. How are you feeling?

Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby Beth B » Feb 19, 2005 3:25 pm

Hi, Jenny -

I've found a combination of Zofran, Phenergan, and Reglan to be most effective for me, but it took a lot of tinkering around to get there. Keep trying to find what works for you, and good luck!!
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

Postby rjdecker » Feb 21, 2005 12:05 pm

Marie,
Glad you found me here. I actually started feeling miserable last week and I know it is getting worse. I was taking the unisom/B6 combo and the results seem to have fizzled out. I then started dramamine and am taking it round the clock now. I have only thown up once, thank heavens. I am not sure how long this dramamine will help, last night I was so nauseated! But today I seem to be okay. This time HG has reared its ugly head early! I usually don't start until around eight weeks. I hope it means it will go away sooner, though. I have to remind myself to have a positive attitude.

Beth,
I think I may end up trying a combo of some meds before I jump to IM vistaril, it is certainly worth a try!

Jenny
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby Marie » Feb 21, 2005 12:50 pm

Jenny,

Sorry that you are feeling the effects of HG so early this time. Let me know how the dramamine works for you. I have not tried that one yet. I hope HG resolves quickly for you this time. I admire those HGers who go on to have a large family.

Best Wishes,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby rjdecker » Feb 22, 2005 12:01 pm

Marie,
The dramamine seems to be working. I did throw up this morning, but I got the dramamine down and was able to eat a few rice chex and I actually feel better. It doesn't work as well as the vistaril. The vistaril even made me feel like somewhat of a normal person. The dramamine takes some of the nausea away. I am okay until evening and early morning. It still beats being so sick I can't do anything. I hope it continues to work. I would much rather use pills than shots!
Jenny
rjdecker
Master of HG

Return to New to the Forums