Top 10 Ways to Help an HG Woman
HG is hard for husbands, significant others, children and the entire family. So it helps the HG woman to know that her family is being taken care of and it helps take away some of the stress she feels. Remember when the body is not receiving proper nutrition the brain is effected, so yes HG women feel depressed, this is a side effect of HG. She is not feeling sorry for herself, her brain is not functioning properly due to the lack of nutrition. Her unborn child is taking everything from her, which leaves her even more deprived of nutrients. The isolation an HG woman feels from the world is very powerful, so let her know you are there for her...here are some our favorite ideas on how to help an HG woman.
WAYS YOU CAN HELP HG MOMS
- Listen without judgment. HG is a REAL medical illness.
- Educate yourself on HG through the HelpHER.org website.
- Be her advocate with caregivers, including doctors, nurses, family and friends. Be her voice!
- Prepare meals for her family at your home, odors such as food can make her symptoms worse.
- Offer to help clean her house or do laundry.
- Invite her kids to an outing or play date.
- Find something to make her laugh. Read her a funny book, magazine or rent a funny movie.
- Let her know she is strong and you care. Offer her a hug or a shoulder to cry on.
- Text or email encouragement regularly.
- Take care of pets.
Updated on: Apr. 21, 2013